HP today unveiled its new family of HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) appliances to further protect customers from threats introduced by mobile and cloud computing. Bringing to market five new models, HP is extending its network security portfolio to help organizations disrupt the adversary before the network is infiltrated.
As computing becomes borderless, adversaries are increasingly bypassing network security with ease and taking advantage of vulnerabilities brought on by the growing number of applications and entry points. Attacks have also become more frequent and sophisticated, with the average enterprise reporting one network compromise per day and an average of four attempts per minute registered by existing perimeter controls.
“In a world where personal mobile devices dominate the workplace and organizations have less control of network access points, security solutions must extend protection beyond the perimeter to disrupt the adversary on all fronts,” said Christopher Poulos, vice president and general manager, Enterprise Security Products, HP Asia Pacific and Japan. “The introduction of the HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Firewall is a natural extension of our leading network solutions portfolio, enabling us to stop the attacks at every control point across and beyond the enterprise network.”
Next-generation protection in the New Style of IT
With the expansive growth in the demand for cloud, mobility and bring-your-own device (BYOD) technologies, organizations must be equipped to handle the challenges and risks that come with the evolving workplace environment. This “new style of IT” demands deeper integration of IT solutions to defend against potential security threats at the user interaction level. The HP TippingPoint NGFW is designed to address risks introduced by the use of each of these trends:
- Cloud computing introduces new ways to access applications outside the enterprise and organizations must be able to secure interactions with enterprise cloud applications, such as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and cloud storage. The HP TippingPoint NGFW provides granular application control and visibility, allowing organizations to limit general access to cloud file transfer applications for certain employees if there is a concern that intellectual property may be stored outside of corporate policy.
- Mobile computing introduces the need for broad visibility and control of applications regardless of where they are being accessed. Organizations must be protected from potential infections or breaches introduced by employees that connect to the corporate network remotely through their mobile devices. The HP TippingPoint NGFW enables the automatic blocking of stealth and malicious code that may enter the network with its egress blocking capabilities, which in turn prevents exfiltration of sensitive data to known command-and-control destinations.
- BYOD policies allow personally owned devices into the workplace to keep employees productive and engaged; however, they sit at the edge of the network and out of reach of traditional IPS systems. To protect networks from potential threats introduced by these devices, organizations must put controls in place that operate at a network’s edge. The HP TippingPoint NGFW provides granular-level application policy controls, which can manage the interaction with popular consumer applications such as Facebook, Google and Twitter.
“With a mission to provide our administrative staff and students with equal access to educational opportunities, it is critical that we embrace online and mobile tools that are fully protected from malware and cyberthreats,” said Mike Kunz, director, Technology, Collinsville Community School District. “The HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Firewall has afforded us this peace of mind, enabling broader visibility into potential vulnerabilities across our extended network, and ensuring our most sensitive data is secure.”
HP TippingPoint NGFW series of appliances
Expanding HP’s industry-leading portfolio, the HP TippingPoint NGFW is available in five models:
- HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Firewall S1050F features 500Mbps throughput and 250,000 concurrent connections and is used in branch network deployments.
- HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Firewall S3010F and 3020F features 1Gbps/2Gbps throughput and 500,000/1,000,000 concurrent connections and is used in branch and campus network deployments.
- HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Firewall S8005F and S8010F features 5Gbps/10Gbps throughput and 10/20 million concurrent connections and is used in core and data center network deployments,
Effective network security requires proactive intrusion prevention and network visibility with the ability to centrally analyze network traffic and user behavior patterns. Leveraging the same HP TippingPoint Security Management System (SMS) that manages the leading HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS), the new series of firewall appliances can be centrally managed from the network edge to the data center to protect data, applications and users. The complete portfolio also leverages advanced security research from HP TippingPoint DVLabs and the Zero Day Initiative (ZDI) along with HP TippingPoint ReputationDV feeds, to proactively identify the latest threats and known command and control center-based attacks.
The series of HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Firewall appliances are available today. Additional information about the HP TippingPoint Next-Generation Firewall series is available atwww.hp.com/go/ngfw.